Post-Doctoral Fellowship 2017-18
The European Research Council (ERC) project Mobility, Empire and Cross-Cultural Contacts in Mongol Eurasia at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem under the direction of Professor Michal Biran is offering a Post-Doctoral scholarship beginning in the 2017-18 academic year.* Scholars who have received their Ph.D. after October 1st 2012 and no later than October 1st 2017 are eligible to apply.
The successful candidates will spend one academic year in Jerusalem. They will take part in a group enterprise of creating a prosopographical database for people active under Mongol rule, and can use the accumulated database for their own research. Fellows will receive a monthly stipend of approximately 10,000 NIS and will be given offices at the Hebrew University (Mount Scopus campus). They will participate in the project's seminar and its other activities and are expected to produce a project-related article(s) or monograph.
The required criteria for submitting candidacy for the fellowships are:
- Proven academic excellence;
- Sound knowledge of at least one of the following classical languages: Arabic, Persian and/or Chinese. Knowledge of Russian is also an advantage. Sound knowledge of the history of the Mongol Empire.
Interested individuals are requested to send 1 copy of the following documents as well as an electronic version (in one file):
- Curriculum vitae (including language proficiency) Transcript of grades
- Abstract of the PhD dissertation
- Letters of evaluation of the PhD dissertation
- A document describing the research program (up to 500 words)
- Two letters of recommendation to be sent directly to the project's coordinator at email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
A writing sample: PhD chapter or a paper that has been accepted for publication. Please send materials in hard copy to:
Professor Michal Biran
Institute of Asian and African Studies
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Mt. Scopus, 91905
and electronically in one file to:
by February 1st, 2017.
For additional information about the project see http://mongol.huji.ac.il/
(*) In special cases the fellowship can begin before October 2017. Please contact us before the deadline if this is applicable to you.